Buying Guide: Choosing The Best Youth Baseball Glove – Top Reviews 2017
Since the first official league in 1857 with sixteen New York City area clubs, today baseball is more and more professional and economically. Nowadays a professional baseball player could earn up to 3 million-a-year. What an impressive number right? If your kid dreams to become a professional baseball player, please don't hesitate to support it.
You never know someday your child might become the number one in the world. And nothing shows more supportive than provide them the right equipment for them, especially the best youth baseball glove. What is good for a youth player to help you determine, this article will be about how to choose the best youth baseball glove (Check out Top 5 Best Baseball Cleats here)
Firstly, I will list three best youth baseball gloves which most of the customers appreciated and of course, I spent some days to learn more about these through my friends who have been using one of them well every day.
Top 3 Best Youth Baseball Gloves On The Market
How To Choose The Right Baseball Glove For Yourself?
In baseball, the glove is the most important tool you need to have on the field. Choosing the right glove for you will help you perform better on the field. Depend on many factors; you need to think a lot when you try to buy a glove. To make it easier for you, here are some things you can base on when you choose a glove for yourself.
In baseball, the glove is the most important tool you need to have on the field. Choosing the right glove for you will help you perform better on the field. Depend on many factors; you need to think a lot when you try to buy a best baseball glove. To make it easier for you, here are some things you can base on when you choose a glove for yourself.
Depends on what positions you are playing, you can pick a better glove for you.
- Outfield gloves are larger and longer than other gloves.
- Infield gloves are smaller than outfielder's gloves for added speed and flexibility.
- First base mitts are typically fingerless and look like a catcher's mitt with less padding, and a defined web. The open web refers.
- Pitchers gloves usually use a closed web, to hide the ball and the pitcher's grip from the batter.
- Catcher’s mitts are uniquely designed to protect the hand from hard, repetitive pitches.
There are two types of webbing:
- Closed Web: when you are a catcher, pitchers, fielders. You need more catching support for these positions. Open webbing recommends for you.
- Open Web: provide quicker ball transfer time from the glove throwing hand give more support to infielders and outfielder.
Pockets are a great indicator of glove use and position, the key here being Pocket Depth.
- Shallow Pockets: Refer for fielders who need to grab the ball quickly and transfer it to their throwing hand, making fast plays and getting the ball to the plate.
- Deeper Pockets: Great for holding onto fly balls and hard hit shots, making them better for outfielders.
- Open Back Gloves: Feature a space above the wrist adjustment, providing more flexibility in the wrist and hand. Open back gloves typically prefer by infielders who need the mobility and quick turn around.
- Closed Back Gloves: Feature no space, and may utilize a hole where the index finger can rest outside of the glove. Outfielders tend to use closed back gloves, with the addition of a finger hole, for added support when catching flys.
Padding preference is another thing to consider. The amount of padding you have on your glove depends on the position you play.
Gloves can be made of many different types of materials including leather, synthetic materials, mesh, and treated leather. Leather is the preferred material for players due to their durability and comfort.
A lot of brand names you can choose from: Wilson, Rawlings, Mizuno, Nike, Easton, Louisville Slugger, Akadema…
Which brand do you like best? In my opinion, I love Wilson brand very much because their design is beautiful and there are many sizes for customers to select.
Our Top Picks For The Best Youth Baseball Glove Reviews
1. Mizuno GPP1150Y1 Youth Prospect Ball Glove
This glove from Mizuno uses some modern technologies which make it the best youth baseball glove. These techs include PowerClose, PowerLock, V-Flex Notch, Heel Flex and Parashock palm to make catching easy and comfortable.
Features and Benefits
- PowerClose Tech: This patented technology is one of the things that make gloves from Mizuno, a favorite of most players. And this is because it makes catching easy even for junior players.
- PowerLock: PowerLock gives this glove one of the quickest fits in the market which is just what players that are learning the game need. It also ensures that the juniors can always get a secure fit so that the glove does not come in their way.
- V-Flex Notch: The V-Flex might not look like much, but anyone who uses this glove will know just how important it is. This technology initiates a simple closure and hence ensuring that the players get more catches and minimal drops.
- Heel Flex: The Heel Flex Tech is also vital for this glove because it helps to increase the flexibility of the glove while also improving the closure to make catching effortless.
- Dexterity: it is available in hand orientations for both left and right-hand throwers, and this means that any player can find something that works for him.
- It feels fantastic and comfortable on the hand.
- Just like most other gloves from Mizuno is requires minimal break-in.
- You will always get quick and effortless glove closure with this glove thanks to the PowerClose technology.
- It has an adjustment strap for secure and custom fit.
- The design of the palm and the material minimize sting.
- This glove guarantees less shock and rebound.
- The overall look is stylish and very attractive which means most youth players will love it.
- All youth players can use it as it is available in both left and right-hand orientations.
- Youth players with larger hands will find it too tight and uncomfortable.
- The stitching is not very impressive, and it needs some improvement.
- You might need to steam it for a few minutes to make it easier for youth players to open and close it.
- It is only available in one color.
2. Rawlings Players Youth Glove Series
Youth players require something comfortable and with a perfect fit and this is why Rawlings produces this Youth Series. It features Neo-flex back with a Velcro strap, a deep pocket, soft and durable shell, soft inner lining and it also comes in some attractive patterns and colors.
Features and Benefits
- Neo-flex and Velcro Strap: This conventional glove features the unique Neo-flex design at the back that also includes a Velcro strap to ensure that players always get an excellent and custom fit.
- Deep Pocket: This Rawling youth baseball glove has a deep pocket that makes catching easy. The deep pocket and the basket design will give youth players an excellent catch control.
- Soft Shell: The smooth and pliable shell is a vital element in this glove because it makes closure easy. This shell is also a textured vinyl, and this makes it very durable and hence also increasing the lifespan of the glove.
- Inner Lining: This glove also includes a soft inner lining which is ideal for a youth player. It also has a nice padding on the palm to minimize shock and sting.
- Appearance: It comes in some bright patterns and colors that will impress most youth players. Also, the attractive appearance is very effective in boosting a youth player’s confidence.
- The shell is soft and pliable to ensure a simple closure.
- Finding any better quality at the same price is hard.
- This glove has a unique back design that includes a Velcro strap to ensure you always get a custom fit.
- The pocket is deep enough for catch control.
- This youth glove also includes a soft lining on the inside section.
- It is available for both right and left-hand throwers.
- The textured vinyl shell is very durable, and this increases the lifespan of the glove.
- It requires no break-in, and so you can expect maximum performance straight from the box.
- All youth players can use it as it is available in different sizes.
- Most players seem to love the youthful colors and patterns.
- The palm padding needs extra padding to improve shock absorption.
- Some players complain about the stitching getting loose after a few uses.
- The materials are still not as durable as genuine leather.
3. Easton Youth Z-Flex ZFX 901 Ball Glove (9-Inch)
Any parents looking for the best youth baseball glove should try this 9-inch one from Easton. It is a modern-looking glove that uses the Z-Flex technology elastic strips to make it easy for kids to close and open it. This fantastic glove also includes a 2-1-1 Palm, Velcro Wrist and it is available in two lovely color combinations.
Features and Benefits
- Z-Flex Tech: The Z-Flex is a patented technology that makes this glove easy to squeeze for kids. Thanks to this technology youth player will have an easier time using the glove as they learn the game.
- Elastic Strip: This Easton youth baseball glove comes with some innovative strips on the sides of the palm that make it easy for junior baseball players to close and open it.
- 2-1-1 Palm: The 2-1-1 construction is one of the things that make this one of the best baseball glove brands because it provides excellent leverage during closure and this ensure that the kid has an enjoyable time and impressive performance.
- Velcro Wrist: A Velcro strap is always a perfect addition to any baseball glove. The one on this particular one makes it possible for the players to get a custom and comfortable fit.
- Colors: You get to choose between bright green/blue and red/black color combinations. However, you can always be sure of a stylish glove because both shades stand out.
- Size: It is a nine-inch glove which means that it is just the right size for kids.
- You get to choose from two attractive color combinations.
- It has an exclusive design that combines pinky and ring fingers to give the glove better leverage during closure.
- The price and quality that you get are both excellent.
- Youth player will not need to spend hours trying to break it in as it is game ready straight from the box.
- The Grab-All web in Easton gloves is up to 40% bigger than what you get from other youth gloves.
- It is incredibly easy to use and also soft enough for the young players.
- Elastic strips on the side make it easier to close for kids who are just learning the game.
- Adjustable Velcro ensures a snug and custom fit.
- Nine inches is too small for youth players with wider or larger hands.
- Most kids will outgrow this glove very fast.
- The stitching does not look very durable which is a common problem with most youth gloves.
Proper Way To Measure A Baseball/ Softball Glove
When trying to find out how long a glove is, you can look on the thumb or pinky finger, and you should see the size etched in the leather there. The sizes range from 8 to 15 inches, and to 35 inches for catcher’s mitts.
To measure a glove that does not have a size, take a fabric tape measure and measure from the top of the index finger, down along the glove, to the center of the heel of the glove.
Youth VS. Adult Gloves
A youth glove designs for younger players with smaller hands. They are typically cheaper than the adult gloves and are much easier to close.
The kid gloves do not make the same high-quality leather, but the materials they make of make them easier to close. Youth gloves have smaller, narrower fingers and should use for a player under ten years old. They sometimes can be used for a player up to 12 years old, but after then, kids should be using adult gloves.
So as to fit an adult glove onto a younger player’s hand, the back of the wrist can tighten. It does on softball gloves with a Velcro strap, but on baseball gloves, the glove needs a minor re-lacing. The picture below shows the difference of how a tightened glove looks compared to a non-adjusted one.
Choose a good baseball glove for your young kid is not an easy job. Sometimes, It takes too much your time and effort to find the best youth baseball glove and more importantly, make the users comfortable.
All the things above, I drew from the real experiences of my friends and my brother, Jack. He is a football fancier, so there is always some gloves at home. However, Jack likes Wilson A360 Baseball Glove best, and when questioned, he gave the comments like what I have just mentioned above.
Everyone has their hobby, and some my friends like Rawlings Player Preferred Adult Glove but the others are interested in Wilson Game Ready Soft Fit Outfield Baseball Glove so much.
However, hopefully, you can make the decision easier after this article. I did my best part the decision is still your. Thank you for taking time reading my reviews.
Read more about the Best Youth Baseball Bats.